Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Pterodactyl Egg Marinade

To be perfectly honest I already forget why we talked about Pterodactyl egg marinade and how fire improved the process - but if I had to hazard a guess, I would say that it was in relation to the role of "technology".
Technology has always been in the arsenal of the media. They don't seem particularly to be innovators but they are quickly shaped by the newest medium. As Dr. Parker mentioned in class, "you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube". Once technology is unleashed, it is here to stay until it is replaced. It's a fine line between one who exercises wise caution and the luddite, and a fine line between what is visionary and what is merely trendy.
I wrote a paper once about how technological evolution impacted cryptology and cryptanalysis. I found that each new generation of technology tended to switch the advantage between the coders and decoders. I wonder if a similar look at the media could be made - when does the technological medium of the media benefit the sender and when does it benefit the receiver? Does "advantage" even exist in those terms?
I think I cannot answer the question the way I posed it. Rather, I might make the hesitant claim that each new iteration of media technology (the newspaper, the telegraph, the radio, the television,the fax, the internet, etc) wrests control away from the sender. The receiver, certainly at risk of overstimulation, now has access to a wide range of information and can easier evade any controls set up by the sender.
Of course, everything I just said only applies to this country. Hmmm.

No comments: